Friday 16 July 2010

A Word from Zac's Mummy!

This is Zac's blog, and is usually written from his perspective on life. But I'm going to hijack this post to say two things:

Happy 9th Birthday, Zac!1) I am aware that I haven't updated the blog for a while. There is lots of news and progress that I want to share with you about Zac (plus, he's had a birthday!), and hopefully I will get a chance to post this soon. So please keep checking back!

2) The 6 week school Summer holidays are almost here. This can be a difficult and frightening time for families with an Autistic child. I recently posted the following thoughts about the school holidays on my Facebook page, and had an enormous response, several people saying that I should post it on Zac's blog. So here it is...

"I have had discussions with many parents over the last few days about the looming Summer Holidays, and have made some observations… you can read these in below. I’m not trying to make any point here, or cause offence, or indeed stereotype anyone. Every family is different. But please spare a thought for families with an Autistic child over the 6 week break, and maybe offer some support if you can...

‎1) Most parents of “normal” (neurotypical) children are looking forward to the school holidays - anticipating lazy days in the garden, at the park, trips to the cinema, days out and holidays away. They welcome the break in routine, and the freedom from the time constraints of school hours and the school run. No scrambling around trying to assemble school uniform, supervise homework and make the packed lunches for a few weeks.

‎2) However, my friends with Autistic children are looking forward to a different kind of Summer. Most of them are now feeling the familiar onset of anxiety and fear as they wonder how they will get through the six week break. They know that the break in routine will cause nothing but distress for their special children. “Normal” activities like a trip to the park or cinema are by no means straightforward and, in many cases (including my own), impossible. They are cringing internally at the levels of mind-numbing tiredness they know they will feel at the end of each day, the destruction in their homes that will surely take place, the sense of failure as they feel they have let down their children and failed to provide the idyllic, happy, holiday experience that they suspect every “normal” family is having.

‎3) I know the school holidays can be tough on ALL parents, and especially on working parents as they try to juggle child-care over the six week break. But I know how much harder it can be for parents of children with special needs. So, I guess I’m saying that I want to salute all those parents who struggle through the Summer holidays and, to quote High School Musical (and David Cameron!), “We’re all in this together!”. Let’s try and support each other – even if it’s just an encouraging message on Facebook."

That’s it. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment