Monday 1 June 2009

Half-Term

Mummy and Grandma did not sing the Little Red Taxi song at breakfast today, and the little red taxi with Zoe in it did not come to take me to school, and I was sad.

I do not like home days because I don't know what is going to happen.

We walked to the Castle and there were people, so many people. I stayed in my purple chair with my fingers in my ears, leaning over to watch the grass moving beneath my feet as Mummy pushed me. But then I heard the music and saw the whirling shapes and lights - rides! I love rides!

In the teacup I closed my eyes and felt my whole body spin. Bouncing on the trampoline I flung myself towards the sky. Up and down on the swan ride, the people and colours and shapes whirled around me.

I cried when it was time to go... no more rides. I was angry.

Later, a picnic, under the tree that looked like broccoli. Still cross, I chewed and spat my food, threw my sandwich, threw my body, and kicked Lily-Rose lying on the rug. Fingers in ears, I rolled and squirmed, lightning running through my body.

Little red taxi takes Zac to school
Little red taxi, it is so cool
It goes quite fast and it goes quite slow
Little red taxi - that's the way to go!

No, I do not like home days because I don't know what is going to happen.


We try to inform Zac about his days as much as possible, using visual cues when we can, and verbal cues such as "First the park, then the green shop, then home". Autistic children, especially of Zac's severity, need predictability and sameness in their lives in order to feel safe. Zac's Special School provides a good routine for him, and he finds the school holidays difficult (as do we!).

He will be starting a new school in September - one more suited to his severe and complex needs, and we are hoping that the transition to his new school will be a smooth one.

Key:
WHITE text is me, "speaking" as Zac
GREEN text is direct quotes from Zac
GREY text is background commentary or explanation

1 comment:

  1. Half Term is full of stress here too. We use visual time tables too.

    Zac and Lou Lou (twinkle) will be going through major transitions in only about 3 months time! i cant believe how quick it has come. I hope they both settle quickly xx

    ReplyDelete