Thursday 28 May 2009

Away

Mummy and Daddy said “Zac, you are going to Aut Even for two sleeps, and then Mummy and Daddy will bring you HOME”.

I go to Aut Even sometimes and sleep in my special Aut Even bedroom and watch my Maisy DVD in bed.

I play in the sensory room, and run in the big garden and eat chicken nuggets and baked beans and chocolate spread on toast.

I go in the minibus to the swimming pool or to the park or beach.

I have a bath and Pam reads me my Some Dogs Do book.

Geoff and Ian and Sue look after me.

Then Mummy and Daddy bring me HOME, which is what I like best.


Aut Even is a respite centre for disabled children, which Zac has been going to for 2 or 3 night stays, every 5 weeks, since he was 6 years old. The idea is that the children have a fantastic time, and the parents get a break, and some sleep! (Zac, like most autistic children, is not a good sleeper, despite his sleep medication.)

We miss him when he is at Aut Even, but we never fail to be amazed at how simple, carefree and relaxed “normal” life is when Zac is not around! We can do the things that most people take for granted… feed the ducks in the park, watch a movie together, take a stroll in the sunshine!

We are really grateful to all the wonderful respite carers at the centre and we hope that Zac looks forward to his visits as much as we do.

Key:
WHITE text is me, "speaking" as Zac
GREEN text is direct quotes from Zac
GREY text is background commentary or explanation

1 comment:

  1. Glad Aut Even is a positive experience for all :)

    ReplyDelete