Tuesday 26 May 2009

Bank Holiday

I let myself sink down, down... water above and all around me. Then up I shoot, kick, splash and dance - the light and sound and sparkling water whirling. Down the flume on Daddy's lap, faster, faster, my face a smile shape. I love swimming!

Later Mummy took me and Luca to the Priory and the Stone Park. I wanted to kick the geese to make them honk and flap, but Mummy and Luca pulled me away. I found lots of lamp-posts to lick - I like to taste the metal and look up at the bulb. I was happy they were all OFF. Lamp-posts go ON when the sky is dark and OFF when the sky is light.

My nappy was so heavy when I did a poo and Mummy took me to the toilet. I wanted to grab that poo and squish it, warm and sticky, but Mummy made Luca hold my hands.

At the Stone Park I ran up and down by the green railings banging my pig book. But when Mummy lifted me into the swing, my legs dragged on the ground and Mummy said "Zac, you really are too big for the baby swing now" (and I said Zac, you really are too big for the baby swing now). So there was no swinging and I was sad.

But then the rain came and I laughed and flapped and ran and banged my pig book, looking at the sky. And Mummy and Luca said it was time to go home.


Swimming is Zac's all-time favourite activity. He is a natural self-taught swimmer (albeit "doggy paddle"!) and has absolutely no fear of water. We have to be so careful around rivers, ponds, etc, as Zac will just try to throw himself in.

Zac has always had a fascination for lamp-posts and will stop to hug and lick them whenever possible! He can get very distressed when a lamp-post is on when it should be off, and vice versa!

We are hoping that one day Zac will be toilet-trained. Luca is a great help with Zac, and at 5 years old has a mature head on his small shoulders. He can tell you all about Autism and wants to find a "cure" one day, as well as be an astronaut, an inventor and a vegetarian chef! We try to make sure he has lots of fun and one-to-one time, to make up for his caring role in Zac's life.

The "Stone Park" is actually Wouldham Park - Zac gave it its nick-name, but we're not sure why he chose to call it that! Zac loves swings and really enjoys being pushed as high as possible. Unfortunately he is now so big that most "baby" swings are no good for him, and he is unable to use a normal swing as he cannot hold on to the ropes or chains.

Key:
WHITE text is me, "speaking" as Zac
GREEN text is direct quotes from Zac
GREY text is background commentary or explanation

3 comments:

  1. I get help from my eldest son (he is 11) my 5 year old son doesnt sound quite a mature as your Luca (your children have great names). Did your Luca have any help from the professional? my sons had no professional help or explenation about autism, but my eldest goes to a Crossroads Young Carers group.

    Twinkel loves swimming (well water, she cant swim yet) She goes swimming once a week with her respite girl. She jumped into my mother in-laws pond a few weeks ago...fully clothed, we were with her but she is so quick!!! we live near a river, which is scarey!

    Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrifying isn't it? You just can't take your eye off the ball even for a second. I'm glad your boys are a help with Twinkle. Sometimes it does seem unfair on the siblings, but I do think it will help them in later life to have an understanding and empathy with disability. Luca will be able to join the Parklands Siblings group in October when he is 6, which I think he'll really enjoy. He'll be starting cubs in September too.

    He didn't have any professional help with understanding Autism, but we've always been really open with him about it - no topic is off limits really, just presented in a way he can understand. There's a good book we bought him too - "My Brother is Different" - I'm sure there's a Sister one too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luca is a fantastic big little brother to Zac and such a gorgeous boy in his own right. Zac's lucky to be surrounded by people who love him so much.

    Loving the blog Katie - keep the updates coming!

    Anna
    xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete