Wednesday 20 May 2009

Baby Sister

There's Lily-Rose again, in Mummy and Daddy's bed. That thing in her mouth, that dummy, is going up and down, up and down. I want to grab it and pull it out of her mouth! I want to grab her face and squish hard. I want to throw my book at her.

Then she will cry, and Mummy will do her cross voice.

When Lily-Rose cries the sound hurts my ears so much that I have to put my fingers in them. But the sound is also funny and makes me laugh. And I will laugh and laugh.

Zac's baby sister Lily-Rose is 4 months old. Unfortunately Zac has "attacked" her on many occasions to try and make her cry... a sound which clearly causes him both pain and pleasure. We now have to make sure that Zac has a one-2-one carer with him at all times when he is at home in order to help protect Lily-Rose (Social Services have been fantastic in funding extra care at certain times of the day).

The "book" Zac is referring to is a plastic squashy bath-book, one of many that Zac carries with him at all times. He holds the book in his right hand and bangs it with his left, over and over thoughout the day. This is one of Zac's coping mechanisms and helps him to feel safe and calm in a frightening world.

Key:
WHITE text is me, "speaking" as Zac
GREEN text is direct quotes from Zac
GREY text is background commentary or explanation

3 comments:

  1. Hi, just came across your link in one of my KAT emails. Your blog looks great and i am really looking forward to hearing from Zac :)

    I have three kids...two boys and a girl. My girl is nearly 4 has autism and is non-verbal. You can pop along to my blog and see her if u like. Either click on my name and beautiful spectrum or copy and paste this link.. http://beautifulspectrum.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Halo - thanks for your comment. I've had a look at your blog and will follow it too. I loved the "Spinning" photo - I'd forgotten that Zac used to spin all the time too, as a toddler, and never get dizzy! His stims are mainly banging books now and chewing his clothes. I'm completely new to blogging so it will be interesting to see how this pans out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it will pan out fine :) I like the style of your blog :). I've met alot of people from all over some with ASD children and some without who just like to read about what its like living wtih a child with autism.

    We live fairly close so it will be nice to share experiences if our local area.

    Take care x

    ReplyDelete